Sunday 19 August 2007

Bad Week

Firstly, my apologies for not updating for a while, it's been a busy few weeks.

This last week has been a very sad one for me, on Monday I found a foal laying dead in the field.
She was a lovely 6 week old filly, very strong and even a bit chubby.
The vet did a post-mortem and discovered she died from poisoning, so off I went to search 30 acres of grassland to find out what had killed her. With the vets help I managed to identify an area in a ditch where some plants were trampled and broken - one of the plants turned out to be Hemlock Water Dropwert sometimes known as "dead man's fingers" - the killer of my little filly,
a plant very difficult to remove, so the area has to be fenced off.

Then two days later, a beautiful Blue Roan mare called Bethan who has been ill for 4 months suddenly died.
She had liver fluke ( a liver infection caused by worms, possibly contracted from sheep).
We had been nursing/treating her for all this time and thought she was on the road to recovery when she just lay down and died - such a sad thing - even this old horse farmer had a lump in his throat when he found her!
Having so many horses (216), the chances of some fatal injury or illness is quite high but make no mistake - it doesnt get any easier each time you lose one!
It is the one side of the horsefarm life that I just don't like.

Hopefully my next update will be more cheerful.

3 comments:

Leslie Hawes said...

I am so sorry. Dealing with animals always presents the possibility of breaking your heart.
Horses are so magnificent and fragile.
I am glad to know you are there. I was worried for you.
Please know that you are thought about.

The Ginger Darlings said...

We liked Bethan. She was a funny horse, especially when she decided it was time to move in to the kitchen. I suppose it was every kitchen needs, a blue horse.

Blackfeatherfarm said...

Just found your blog, thanks to Ginger Cats, another, newly on my favorites list. You are on my favorites as well. This post just breaks my heart. I will be checking in to see if things are happier. Love the photos, best wishes to you and the lovlies {horses}.